Although our website is ideally a blog, we did our research and chose a .Com extension instead of a .Blog.
It offers better visibility, is familiar to users, and is easy to remember.
It has all the hallmarks of a catchy domain name with a suitable domain extension.
Imagine if we switched it up and changed our domain extension from .COM to .ORG. Which one would you trust more?
It’s a matter of perception. What you might see as a good choice for your brand may not always be accepted by the audience. For this, you have to learn the audience and their requirements. And find a domain name that’s credible and trustworthy.
In order to help you decide on the right domain, we have shared the difference between .ORG and .COM domain extensions.
Which should you pick – .ORG or .COM?
While both .ORG and .COM are top-level domain extensions, when registering for either, you need to take into consideration the nature of your business. Websites with a .Com domain extension have a commercial intent, whereas .Org domain extension is mostly used by non-profit organisations. From an SEO perspective, a .Com domain has more weightage as most users are likely to enter .Com after a domain name, making it memorable. However, while registering, it is easier to get the domain of your choice with a .Org extension than a .Com extension as .Org domain extension is less competitive and more affordable.
1. Domain Extension .ORG
1.1] What is the Domain Extension .Org used for?
Established in January 1985, .Org is a top-level domain. Initially, it was meant to be a domain extension for non-profit organisations and companies that wanted to purchase a domain but didn’t fall into any specific category, such as non-commercial, non-networking, non-university, non-government, and non-military.
Other businesses weren’t allowed to use the .Org extension. But things have changed. In 2019, after the domain registry was sold to an investment firm, these restrictions were removed. And now, .Org is used by non-profit organisations and other industry standard groups.
People familiar with the domain extensions are more likely to believe that it is being used by a non-profit organisation. So, when you purchase a .Org domain extension for your business, ensure that you disclose the for-profit nature of your organisation to your audience. Otherwise, your organisation may face a fallout.
The .Org domain extension is short for ‘organisations’. Since it was established earlier than most of the other domain extensions, it is well-known and has more credibility. It is also considered more influential than the alternatives.
Get the best deal while purchasing a domain name with .Org extension by using Bluehost Coupons.
1.2] Advantages of owning a website with .ORG Domain Extension
- Cost-Effective: Generally, domain names with .Com extensions cost more than the same domain name with .Org extensions. .Com’s popularity can certainly affect the prices of domain names, and you should factor this into your budget whether you are looking for a commercial or non-commercial domain name. The price could vary depending on the domain service provider you are using.
- Less Competitive: Compared to .Com, .Org is far less competitive. It is easier to obtain your choice of domain name with .Org extension. Technically, it is much safer to purchase a top-level domain with more than one extension so that your competitors do not use them to steal your traffic.
- Easy to Search Non-profit Domain: One of the positive impacts of .Org non-profit connotation is easy accessibility. Visitors, both old and new, will use .Org when searching for any non-profit they remember by name.
1.3] Disadvantages of owning a website with .ORG Domain Extension
- No more reserved for non-profit: We have seen how the sale of the .Org extension to for-profit investment organisations has affected the domain extension. Now, commercial websites can use .Org extensions, but they do face a serious issue.
People are used to associating .Org with non-profit organisations. So, it is prudent to be very clear about the nature of your organisation from the get-go as you don’t want to inadvertently end up misleading people, leaving you open to their censure.
- Trust score or Authenticity: Since visitors prefer .Com over .Org for commercial websites, it has a better trust score. Any commercial business worth its grain of salt should consider getting a .Com domain. It is much easier to navigate and has fewer hurdles.
- Highly Popular: Despite being an underused resource, you’ll still come up with a domain name and find that it is unavailable. So, you might have to come up with a list of names. This way, even if your first choice is taken, you can quickly move on to the next one on the list. You can always purchase it from the person who owns it, but it can get a bit expensive in some cases.
3. How does SEO affect websites with .Org and .Com Domain Extension?
Many experts, including Google’s Matt Cutts and John Mueller, have stated that the domain extensions have no bearing on a website’s ranking on Google Search Engine. Google focuses on providing users relevant results for their queries regardless of the domain extensions.
So, if you own an auction house, you can create a website with a .Auction domain extension. Similarly, an attorney can use a .Attorney domain extension to build his portfolio.
These domain extensions are easier to identify and remember as they serve a specific purpose. Regardless of which one you use, it may not affect the ranking of your website.
But you have to understand .Com should always be the first choice for a commercial website. If it isn’t available, you can move on to .Net or .Co. The domain extension .Org should only be used when the others are unavailable.
Ideally, it is better to purchase a new domain name rather than recycle another with a domain extension. A domain name that belongs to your brand can be trademarked so that no one else can use it.