In the digital world, high-quality content has become synonymous with enhanced user experience. A strong content strategy is not a preference anymore, it is the most important requirement.
If your website content is not interesting or engaging, it’ll affect your site’s ranking and, of course, website traffic. Therefore, every piece of content on your site must be informative and relevant to the users. Effective website content is always structured and well-planned. Additionally, your content must create a strong impression and persuade your customers to take the desired action.
How do you create a content strategy?
A content strategy includes planning, execution, and promotion of content to achieve a marketing goal. Depending on your marketing goals – brand awareness, increased sales, or generating leads, you can tweak your content strategy accordingly. The main steps for creating a content strategy includes setting goals, determining your target audience, competitor analysis, keyword research, content types, editorial calendar, and publishing.
B. How to Create an Effective Content Strategy?
1. Define your goal and run a content audit
Do you have a goal in mind for creating a content marketing strategy? If you aren’t aware of your goals, you can’t scale higher. Having a marketing goal ensures that you do what you intend to. Start by defining your goals, or list your goals before working on a specific marketing plan.
Also, most brands start with blog posts as a part of content optimisation. But, first, you need to run a content audit.
- A content audit will review your site for top-performing and low-performing content. It gives you a fair idea about the content your audience will love. Based on the content, you align the goal of your company.
- Figure out what content you’ll create in the upcoming months and years. The content you curate should resonate with your audience for it to have an impact.
2. Determine the type of content you want to create
The content you create for your website should be engaging and at par with your competitors. There are five main types of content – blogs, call to action, landing page, audio and visual.
- Blogs give you the right opportunity to connect and make a space on the web. Create informative blogs that cover the basics of your services and products. Here, long-form content garners better traction than short form content.
- Call to action content focuses on selling a product or promoting your website. You can subtly create this. Your article should promote a product/service, but indirectly.
- Landing pages are goal-oriented pages; they help generate potential leads.
- In visual content, you can use images, GIFS, and infographics.
- Audio content can engage our viewers without leaving the page, thus increasing conversions.
3. Plan and draft web pages
When building a website, some of the important pages that you require include homepage, contact us page, about us page, product category, service page, careers page, and testimonial page. If you need to start a blog, plan a blog page and the content you will add to your blog. Proper planning of web pages is essential for a strong content strategy.
Make use of these Bluehost coupons to buy web hosting for your website.
4. Set the tone for each page
Some websites are too promotional or sales in their content strategy, while others focus on engaging, well-optimised content. The tone you set for your content helps you connect with your target audience. With a clear content strategy, you can persuade your audience and leave an impression. Mostly, a casual tone resonates with readers, providing an idea for the desired action without being too formal.
5. Brainstorm content ideas
It’s time you brainstorm different content ideas to make the right impact on customers or users. You will need to let your creative juices flow and work on different content types. Some tools to help you with content ideas for your website are:
6. Sync website content with design
The design and content should sync while you develop a content strategy. Your web design must be simple, so your content is highlighted and reaches the right customer base. Besides, the correct layout and content may attract more people to your website. The content you add to your website must be relevant and readable.
- If your content is cluttered or unreadable, it may affect the site’s ranking.
- Bulleted content or infographic style of content has a positive impact on readers
- Also, your website interface must be simple so that customers get the best user experience.
7. Publish, manage and update content
Once your content strategy is ready, it is time to go live. You can use an editorial calendar for publishing your content. Additionally, it is essential to manage your content according to the site’s requirements.
- Apart from publishing new content, also update older content.
- Remove thin pages that don’t offer any value.
- Write meta tags for all blogs and web pages.