Choosing the right domain name extension is crucial for your brand and business. Besides providing an identity to your business, it can also influence your search rankings. Part of building a successful website is deciding on the right domain name extension.
Though there are many options, most people stick to .COM or .NET because of their popularity. Both .COM and .NET are recognizable domain extensions, easily available with hosting companies.
Choosing the right domain extension is essential as it reflects the purpose of your site. But how will you know the difference between .COM and .NET? In this article, we will talk about the difference between .COM and .NET, so you’ll know which one to choose for your website.
Which is better – .COM or .NET?
While choosing the extension name, consider the reason to choose .COM or .NET. More than 43% of domains have a .COM extension, so it is the first choice for any new website. If you decide to go for a domain name extension other than .COM, make sure to look at your content. Most technology-related sites choose .NET as the name extension. Also, avoid niche domain extensions .CLUB .SPACE as these extensions are not suitable for commercial business. Lastly, consider the price while buying a domain name extension.
2. Definition of .COM and .NET Extensions
2.1 Meaning of .COM Extension
.COM is the most popular domain extension used by the majority of websites on the internet. .COM is a shorter version of the word ‘commercial’ and is a top-level extension (TLD).
When it was first introduced, .COM was used only for commercial websites, but today it represents all websites – personal, business websites, blogs, and portfolio sites.
Most people see .COM as a default domain extension because of the ubiquity it offers. However, as .COM serves over half of the websites on the internet, it scores low on availability. For a new website, getting a .COM domain name extension is tricky.
2.2 Meaning of .NET Extension
.NET domain name extension is the most popular name extension after .COM. .NET is a shorter version of ‘network’ and indicates that the name represents websites involved in networking technologies.
Initially, it was meant for networking, ISP’s, email services, and database, but slowly it gained popularity for blogs and business websites. Most new businesses opt for .NET extension when the preferred .COM extension is unavailable.
Further reading: New Domain or Subdomain: Pros and Cons
4. .COM vs .NET – Which to Choose?
4.1 .COM Extension
- .COM is the most used extension that represents a business service or a product.
- As a commercial domain, it is suitable for business platforms, E-com stores, blogs, personal websites, and general categories.
- As per RFC 1591, .COM is meant for a commercial entity and is an ideal extension for common websites.
- Through .COM, you can establish credibility for business as users prefer visiting a site with .COM.
- Buying a .COM name extension is costly compared to .NET or other domains.
4.2 .NET Extension
- Smaller companies can opt for a .NET name extension if they intend to provide information through their websites. As per RFC 1591, .NET is meant for only networking purposes.
- Due to its easy availability, it also suits technology-related websites. Most tech companies use this extension as an alternative to .COM.
- The best part about the .NET is its easy availability.
- .NET will need more marketing efforts than .COM, as the latter is popular with search engines.
- Though .NET name extension is a less competitive alternative to the .COM extension, it’s equally recognizable.
- Although it wasn’t the first choice for generic websites before, it is far more preferred today as the demand for .COM is higher.
- If you want a cheaper domain extension, then .NET is your best choice.
6. .COM vs .NET: Which One is Better For SEO?
.COM does not offer any built-in advantage over .NET from an SEO point of view. No matter which one you choose, search engines will treat them the same. That said, .COM TLD is a trusted name extension, and websites that use it, get more traffic.
Most users are aware of bigger brands use .COM. Moreover, .COM may get more site visits via search results.
At times, the choice of TLD may help you rank in the local results. For example, if your business is India-based and you go with .IN extension, your site might rank well in India and get more clicks.
For ranking a website, the focus should be on using the best SEO practices. SEO techniques use targeted content, which helps a site rank higher in SERP.
Irrespective of .COM or .NET, if you follow an SEO plan and optimize images, videos, and site content, it will make a difference. SEO works on targeting the right keywords and paying attention to the content you post. Here, an important part is the domain name and not the domain name extension.