Are you among those who get confused between Web hosting and Domain name? The two things are co-related but different.
Most website users often get confused between the choice of Dedicated IP address and Shared IP address. In 99% of scenarios, you won’t need a Dedicated IP address, so you can go ahead with your choice of Shared IP.
Further reading: Shared Hosting Vs VPS hosting
A Shared IP hosts multiple domains, whereas Dedicated IP is used by a single domain. A Dedicated IP costs a bit more than Shared IP, but it offers many benefits compared to a Shared IP. Both IPs are secured and offer the required features. So, depending on your website needs, you can choose either a Dedicated IP or a Shared IP.
1. What is a Dedicated IP address?
A Dedicated IP address is a string of numbers assigned to your website. It is not shared or used by any other domain on the internet. If a user types your dedicated IP address in the browser search bar, the user will be redirected to your website. A dedicated IP address is like your landline, a dedicated number that is assigned to your name. You can purchase it through a hosting service provider for a small fee.
Use Bluehost coupons to purchase a Dedicated IP address now!
1.1 Benefits of Dedicated IP Address
- It lets you access your website directly via FTP. You can remotely access your server at any time with a Dedicated IP address, and you don’t have to change the DNS settings for your domain. You can test your site before launching with a Dedicated IP address.
- If your website has a unique set-up or your site requires special applications and scripts to run, you might need a Dedicated IP. Common applications run fine with Shared IP addresses, but for unique applications, choose Dedicated IP.
- Dedicated IP can isolate your website and emails from other websites. It will protect both your website reputation and email. For professional emails, it is best to use a third-party email provider.
- A Dedicated IP address provides a higher level of server control. Since you have direct access, you can customize it. Of course, it also depends on your technical skills.
- With a Dedicated IP address, you can run your IP-based server environment. But, you will need your hosts’ permission for this.
Most hosting providers use Dedicated IPs for SSL certificates. It also depends on your hosting configurations. Some server setups require it, and other hosting providers use the SNI to install the SSL certificates on the website. A Dedicated IP address can provide a boost in the performance of the website.
- Network and Site Speed
- SSL and Security
Using a Dedicated IP address enables you to visit your site via a single IP address. It provides easy access to the server using FTP and helps prevent CPU throttling. Added port access is another advantage of the Dedicated IP address, which is missing in Shared IP.
The Shared IP address does not mean that your website performance will be slow. Also, sharing the IP address does not impact the speed of your website.
Dedicated IP might benefit emails, but only for a large volume base. With a low volume of emails, there is no need to go with a Dedicated IP address. It is more important when it comes to the delivery rates.
An IP reputation not only affects the delivery rate but also impacts the ability to reach the customer’s inbox. A third-party email service provider can help you with this, and it is best for more than 10,000 emails per month.
In the past, for an SSL certificate, you had to purchase a Dedicated IP, but things have changed now. SNI (Server Name Identification) allows multiple SSL certificates on a single IP address today.
It sends the visitor the certificate with the requested server. Some browsers don’t run on SNI, so you will have to check for those. Shared IP address work fine for SSL certificates. Security is not a concern because of isolated container technology.
Just as emails, the IPs can get blacklisted. Google reviews the sites that are on Shared hosting and share the same IP address. Although Google does not take blacklisted sites lightly, if your IP gets blacklisted, there are some steps to undo it.
Another concern that people face in SEO is the shifting of IP addresses, which may impact the rankings. Most big companies keep changing IP addresses, but they do it in such a way that it doesn’t impact their site’s rankings.